Monday, September 8, 2008

Brimfield

So, my bf and I decided to drive the 45 minutes to the Brimfield Antiques Fair on Friday. He had never been, I've only been there once before about 8 years ago. It's the biggest antiques and collectibles fair in the USA. Meaning, approximately 5,000 vendors. I made sure that we both had specific items to look for, because otherwise it is just too overwhelming, and you end up buying way too much, or nothing at all. I knew I would use craft supplies, so I looked for fabric and notions, and vintage clothing. He wanted to find vintage mens' clothing, including old hats. I wasn't having any luck finding affordable cute things, even at a half off table. It didn't help at all that we were melting from the heat.

Finally, at a gorgeously designed booth, I found mason jars of mixed vintage buttons for $4 each. Most places were selling buttons by the piece, like 50 cents each! I bought two jars, and was tempted to get three lots of pre-cut 3" quilt squares from vintage fabric. I just wasn't sure when I'd get around to making the quilt(s), and I have enough supplies and WIP's to tide me over for many many months.

I did buy a ziploc baggie of vintage fabric scraps for $5. Turns out most was vintage, some new. I was looking for pieces that would be nice for appliqueing.

My final purchase was a return to a vintage clothing dealer, a really nice woman. I bought a 1970's pink toile Villager cotton shirt. She charged me $8, down $4! I'm going to take in the waist, to make it less boxy.

A successful trip. Here are some pics:


How adorable is this print? Two different birds, and butterflies.



Some of the more detailed buttons.

The fabric pile.

Fabric.com Coupon Corner







My favorite prints, look at those squirrels!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

preeeeetty buttons
congrats on your finds!

Skye @ Planet Jinxatron said...

Hi, can we link to this in the next Carnival of Green Crafts? You had some great finds! Let me know.

-Skye
Crafting A Green World
skyekilaen at gmail dot com