Saturday, July 23, 2011

Update on Butterick B4790 Retro Dress Pattern

Well, I am so glad that I Googled this pattern! I didn't just read all the positive reviews, which is my tendency. I actually read the negative reviews, especially the ones with detailed reasons for disliking it.
I made a muslin from a slippery material I had lying around, which is a whole other topic. I sized the dress to fit my pear shape.

Butterick B4790 Retro Dress Pattern
(Click picture to go to the Butterick site)



Then I put it on.  I had clothes underneath, not a slip, but I was swimming in it. I am 5' 3.5" which makes me petite in height. My hips are about 40," my waist is 30" and my bra size is 36B. I can wear a small top and a large bottom. I'm that pear shaped. And short. So, the volume of fabric in this dress makes it look like a robe on me. It only accentuated my wide hips, did nothing to flatten my belly, and did nothing to enhance my small chest. I looked like a girl playing dress up with her mom's clothes.

So, I scrapped this dress.

I am now onto a Retro Butterick dress pattern that is turning out very nicely. 

No comments: